It is November which means it is Christmas on my blog! I know some people hate when people start celebrating Christmas in November and if that is you, then I’m sorry but you’ve come to the wrong blog. Christmas is my favourite time of year and I’ve been planning Christmas things since July (which you will see in a post soon). One thing I’ve been doing early is baking and I’ve really loved making shortbread, so I thought I’d share six ways to make fun and festive shortbread.
I’m going to start off with the basic recipe and then show you the extra ingredients you can add to change it up.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ a cup of icing sugar
- 115g of cold butter
- In a medium mixing bowl mix flour, icing sugar and the extras (which can be found below)
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and add to flour mix
- Mix it until it looks sandy (may take a while to come together)
- Mix with your hands until a dough forms
- Roll out the dough and refrigerate to make it easy to cut into shapes
- Cut your desired shapes and bake until the edges start to brown
Okay, now time for the 6 different types. Just add these ingredients in step 1 and continue on with the rest of the recipe.
ORANGE PECAN SPICE
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of all spice
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary
- ½ cup of mini choc chips
- extra chocolate for melting/decorating
CRANBERRY & PISTACHIO
- ¼ cup of chopped pistachios
- ¼ cup of dried cranberries
CHOC ORANGE & ROSEMARY
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- ½ cup of chopped dark chocolate
So those are six of my favourites! My favourite of the six are choc orange and rosemary! Will be making a lot more of them! These are super quick and easy to make and would make a great gift for someone.
Let me know your favourite type of shortbread below!