I was recently organising my kitchen and realised I’ve got an insane amount of baking stuff. Every season I buy sprinkles and cupcake liners and other decorations and I hardly use them so I thought it would be fun for my husband and I to do regular bake offs! We love baking shows and I’ve been watching the Halloween Baking Championship a lot this month, and to be honest, I’ve been quite disappointed in what I’ve seen on there. Jason and I aren’t the best bakers in the world, but we really enjoy it so we will try and do a bake off like this for each holiday.
We used our favourite chocolate cake recipe that I’ve posted on here in the past but I halved it because I only wanted to make 12 cupcakes.
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/4 + 1/8 cups of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 + 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt) in a mixing bowl
- Add all wet ingredients (milk, oil, eggs & vanilla) EXCEPT the boiling water and mix well (on medium-high) with an electric mixer
- Add the boiling water into the bowl and then mix on a low speed until combined
- Mix on high for 1 minute
- Bake at 160°C for 15-20 minutes
Jason made the spiders and witch cupcakes and I made the green and purple monster cupcakes. I think we both did a great job but let us know which are your favourites and have a watch of the video below!