Jason and I recently celebrated out 2nd wedding anniversary and since we had a really small wedding, we never had a wedding cake so this year I made us one! I thought it would be great to share now in time for Valentine’s Day!
- 2 cups of plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- ¾ of a cup of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 110g of shortening
- 1½ tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1½ tablespoons of cold water
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line cake tins
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt) in a mixing bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients (milk, oil, eggs & vanilla) EXCEPT the boiling water and mix well (on medium-high) with an electric mixer.
- Add the boiling water into the bowl and then mix on a low speed until combined.
- Mix on high for 1 minute.
- Add mix to cake tins.
- Bake for 30-40minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).
While your cakes are cooking, you can make your buttercream
- Mix icing sugar, shortening, butter and vanilla on a low-medium speed until completely smooth (about 3 minutes)
- While mixing drizzle in the water and mix until fully combined.
- If you are making buttercream flowers like I did, seperate small amounts of the icing and colour them as you want. Here is a great tutorial on making buttercream flowers – Cake Style.
Once your cakes are cooked and cooled you can assemble your cake and decorate it! I also put a lovely Sandra Dillon Design cake topper on our cake.
This is our go-to cake recipe in our house! We love it so much so I hope you love it too!